Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Life Is Pretty Tough Sometimes!

Well I haven't had a ramble in awhile, so why not now? LOL

I guess the title says it all!! Seems all around the world people are doing it tough, some more than others. We have this Swine flu, which the media keeps reporting on and I think scaring more people than needed. They keep showing us a vaccine that will stop it, so shouldn't that be the end of the scare? I say give us the facts, help us to understand what or if we need to do anything and point us in the direction of the cure if we do need it, don't panic people, keep them calm! I think everyone has enough to worry about right now the way the economy is. I was watching 20/20 and it was so terribly sad to see people in shelters with their kids because they've lost their jobs and can't afford their rent anymore. Those kids had to leave pretty much everything behind, now that's tough when you have to leave your beloved dolls, cars and games and go and live in one room, share a bed and not know when you will have a normal life again! Even tougher for the parents who want to give their kids everything but especially a roof over their heads and food on their table and a bed to sleep in each night!!

My other half is finding it very hard to get a job right now. He's an American, living here on a visa, which cost quite a bit of money. We did all the paperwork, paid the fee and all they really do is say yes or no. It was quite nerve wracking going through that because he had to change his visa asap because he was retrenched from his job here and his other visa stated he could ONLY work for them!! If he hadn't of changed his visa in time he'd have had to go back to the US. Thankfully they gave him a small payout which kept us going for awhile. Now he is an aircraft mechanic, licensed to work on all aircraft, helicopters, fixed wing etc. Most aircraft in Australia is American made, not all, but most. For him to actually work and sign off on these aircraft, here in Australia, he needs his Australian licenses. If they are N registered (still on the US registry) he can work on them, sign off on them etc. but if they are Aussie registered he can't. Now you may say, well no problem there, wrong! He will need to sit exams to get his Aussie licenses, which costs money, quite a bit actually, to work on AMERICAN MADE aircraft!! He's been an aircraft mechanic for almost 36 years and the Aussie powers-that-be do not recognise LAME's (licensed aircraft mechanical engineers) from the USA. The weirdest and most ridiculous thing is that they recognise mechanics from elsewhere around the world and they can work on the AMERICAN made aircraft here in Australia!! He is also a DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative) and an IA (Inspector). He has worked all over the world. He was in the US Air force for over 20 years, that's where he became an aircraft mechanic. He's so damn clever and yet he can't get a job here, simply because of licensing issues. At the moment we simply can't afford for him to take exams he doesn't need to take in the first place! I am looking for work but they want young ones, all rounders, someone with certificates etc. etc. So yes, we're doing it pretty tough right now too.

On to another thing...Mothers Day! I'd like to wish all of the mothers out there a very happy, enjoyable and relaxing Mothers Day on Sunday (I know the Brits have had theirs..lol). I probably won't be doing anything because my mother lives a few hours away and we honestly can't afford to drive down there right now but she knows I love her and I'll call her on the day. I'm not sure who will be here this year. My other half is chasing up work in Queensland, my son will probably be working, my twins live in Tasmania, so that leaves Sarah and I!

Anyway, enough rambling, I don't want to bore anyone who reads this..lol

Stay tuned for more sagas and tuts from me.

Jo x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment